We are pleased to announce that, as of May 10, 2016, the 3000th trial participant has been randomized! We have come a long way, and we are grateful to the participants and to you for your sustained efforts and dedication to the trial. There is still much work to do but we wanted to take this opportunity to thank you and celebrate this important milestone.
What is the ISCHEMIA Study?
- An international comparative effectiveness study
- The purpose of ISCHEMIA is to determine the best way to manage stable ischemic heart disease
- Patients with moderate or severe ischemia on stress test imaging may be eligible for participation
If you are a physician and would like more information, please visit the For Physicians section. If you are a patient and would like to learn more about the ISCHEMIA study, please e-mail email@example.com
Why is the ISCHEMIA Study Important?
Ischemic heart disease (IHD) is the leading cause of death and disability worldwide and affects 17,600,000 Americans, resulting in about 450,000 deaths in the United States annually. Globally, 7.2 million deaths are caused by IHD each year.
Medical therapy (medication and lifestyle changes) should always be used to treat IHD. Many doctors routinely use an invasive approach in addition to medical therapy to treat IHD; however, it is not known if this approach is better than medical therapy alone as the initial treatment of patients with stable ischemic heart disease (SIHD). ISCHEMIA is designed to find the answer. Click here to learn more about the ISCHEMIA study.
ISCHEMIA World Cup
Group Play has ended on May 31st 2016. Click here to see what your country's position is for the Round of 32!
June 2016 Newsletter Highlights
- DSMB Update: On May 3rd, 2016 the DSMB recommended continuation of the ISCHEMIA study and the ISCHEMIA CKD and CIAO-ISCHEMIA ancillary studies. All sites have received a memo to include in their IRB/EC renewal submissions with a summary of the meeting and DSMB recommendations
- Publications Update
- Lipid Panel Update: Non-fasting blood samples are acceptable to assess plasma lipid profiles
- CIAO-ISCHEMIA Reminders
- ISCHEMIA-Biorepository Reminders: Simple ways to participate & enhance relevance of the trial
- How to qualify for an ISCHEMIA Data Quality Award
ISCHEMIA Enrollment Updates
As of June 27, 2016 there are 3163 participants (pts) randomized worldwide in the ISCHEMIA study. Click here to see the randomizations by country.
Congratulations to our top sites!
1. Government Medical College (India) PI: Dr. Sajeev, Dr. Rajesh & Dr. Kumar SC: Anand & Bijith (4.1 pts/mth, 131 pts total)
2. Northwick Park Hospital-Royal Brompton Hospital, London (UK) PI: Prof. Senior SC: Kinsey, Collins & Evans (3.5 pts/mth, 134 pts total)
3. Heart Instituto do Coracao - University of Sao Paulo (Brazil) PI: Dr. Hueb SC: Takiuti & Borges Miyamoto Girardi (3.4 pts/mth, 77 pts total)
4. Sri Jayadeva Institute of Cardiovascular Sciences and Research, Bangalore-Karnataka (India) PI: Dr. Manjunath SC: Nataraj & Murthy (2.8 pts/mth, 84 pts total)
5. Atlanta V.A. Medical Center (USA) PI: Dr. Mavromatis SC: Montazeri, Lee & Patel (2.4 pts/mth, 81 pts total)
6. Instituto Dante Pazzanese de Cardiologia (Brazil) PI: Dr. Smanio SC: De Pizzol Amorim Caetano (2.4 pts/mth, 58 pts total)
7. Coronary and Structural Heart Diseases Department, Institute of Cardiology, Warsaw (Poland) PI: Prof. Demkow SC: Chojnacka, Laska & Pracon (2.3 pts/mth, 93pts total)
8. Bakulev Scientific Center for Cardiovascular Surgery (Russia) PI: Dr. L. Bockeria SC: O. Bockeria, Kopaliani, Nazlidis & Kudzoeva (2.3 pts/mth, 75 pts total)
9. Hospital Universitario La Paz (Spain) PI: Dr. Lopez Sendon SC: Valbuena, Castro & Fernandez-Figar (2.2 pts/ mth, 75 pts total)
10. Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital (India) PI: Dr. Pandit SC: Bajaj (1.9 pts/mth, 61 pts total)