What is the ISCHEMIA Study?
- An international comparative effectiveness study
- The purpose of ISCHEMIA is to determine the best way to manage stable ischemic heart disease
- Patients with moderate or severe ischemia on stress test imaging may be eligible for participation
If you are a physician and would like more information, please visit the For Physicians section. If you are a patient and would like to learn more about the ISCHEMIA study, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Why is the ISCHEMIA Study Important?
Ischemic heart disease (IHD) is the leading cause of death and disability worldwide and affects 17,600,000 Americans, resulting in about 450,000 deaths in the United States annually. Globally, 7.2 million deaths are caused by IHD each year.
Medical therapy (medication and lifestyle changes) should always be used to treat IHD. Many doctors routinely use an invasive approach in addition to medical therapy to treat IHD; however, it is not known if this approach is better than medical therapy alone as the initial treatment of patients with stable ischemic heart disease (SIHD). ISCHEMIA is designed to find the answer. Click here to learn more about the ISCHEMIA study.
Study Coordinator Webinar
Join us for our monthly study coordinator webinar the last Thursday of each month! Contact the ISCHEMIA CCC for details.
ISCHEMIA Enrollment Updates
As of April 25, 2016 there are 2934 participants (pts) randomized worldwide in the ISCHEMIA study. Click here to see the randomizations by country.
Congratulations to our top sites!
1. Government Medical College (India) PI: Dr. Sajeev, Dr. Rajesh & Dr. Kumar SC: Anand & Bijith (4.1 pts/mth, 122 pts total)
2. Northwick Park Hospital-Royal Brompton Hospital, London (UK) PI: Prof. Senior SC: Kinsey, Collins & Evans (3.5 pts/mth, 127 pts total)
3. Heart Instituto do Coracao - University of Sao Paulo (Brazil) PI: Dr. Hueb SC: Takiuti & Borges Miyamoto Girardi (3.3 pts/mth, 69 pts total)
4. Sri Jayadeva Institute of Cardiovascular Sciences and Research, Bangalore-Karnataka (India) PI: Dr. Manjunath SC: Nataraj & Murthy (2.8pts/mth, 78 pts total)
5. Atlanta V.A. Medical Center (USA) PI: Dr. Mavromatis SC: Montazeri, Lee & Patel (2.5 pts/mth, 78 pts total)
6. Bakulev Scientific Center for Cardiovascular Surgery (Russia) PI: Dr. L. Bockeria SC: O. Bockeria, Kopaliani, Nazlidis & Kudzoeva (2.3 pts/mth, 74 pts total)
7. Hospital Universitario La Paz (Spain) PI: Dr. Lopez Sendon SC: Valbuena, Castro & Fernandez-Figar (2.3 pts/ mth, 74 pts total)
8. Instituto Dante Pazzanese de Cardiologia (Brazil) PI: Dr. Smanio SC: De Pizzol Amorim Caetano (2.3 pts/mth, 50 pts total)
9. Coronary and Structural Heart Diseases Department, Institute of Cardiology, Warsaw (Poland) PI: Prof. Demkow SC: Chojnacka, Laska & Pracon (2.2 pts/mth, 87 pts total)
10. Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital (India) PI: Dr. Pandit SC: Bajaj (1.8 pts/mth, 55 pts total)